[vc_row fullwidth=”true” attached=”false” padding=”0″ visibility=”visible-dt”][vc_column width=”1/1″][mk_page_title_box section_height=”425″ bg_type=”image” bg_image=”https://befmbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Historical-Highlights_.jpg” bg_position=”left top” bg_stretch=”true” attachment=”scroll” font_size=”100″ font_color=”#ffffff” font_weight=”bold” underline=”false” padding=”20″ sub_font_size=”16″ sub_font_color=”#ffffff” sub_font_weight=”bold” text_align=”center” title_letter_spacing=”5″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row fullwidth=”true” attached=”false” padding=”0″ visibility=”hidden-dt”][vc_column width=”1/1″][mk_page_title_box page_title=”HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS” section_height=”50″ bg_type=”color” bg_image=”https://befmbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/autumn-foliage-forest-380.jpg” bg_position=”center center” bg_stretch=”true” bg_effects=”parallaxZoomOut” attachment=”scroll” font_size=”20″ font_color=”#feda46″ font_weight=”bold” underline=”false” padding=”0″ sub_font_size=”16″ sub_font_color=”#ffffff” sub_font_weight=”bold” text_align=”center” title_letter_spacing=”5″ bg_color=”#d03e44″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row fullwidth=”false” attached=”false” padding=”0″][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_row_inner attached=”false” padding=”0″][vc_column_inner width=”1/6″]
[/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=”2/3″ el_class=”cmk-center-align”]
[/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][mk_padding_divider size=”50″][vc_column_text disable_pattern=”true” align=”left” margin_bottom=”0″]On April 27, 1948, Friendship Missionary Baptist Church (FMBC) was formally organized by a small group of people who met in the home of Bro. and Sis. Arthur L. Chambers. This group elected The Rev. Horace J. Morris as the pastor. From a small nucleus, FMBC experienced rapid growth under Rev. Morris’ leadership and the untiring efforts of dedicated members.
FMBC received membership in the General Baptist Association of Northern California, the American Baptist Convention and the Pacific Association. On November 2, 1949, FMBC was incorporated under the laws of the State of California. The purchase of 1905 Florida Street was made on May 27, 1949, and, after securing a construction loan, the sanctuary was built and completed in early 1951.
In an effort to provide space for church and community sponsored activities, FMBC acquired property and the building at 1828 Carolina Street in 1963, and named it the Parrish House. FMBC opened its Parrish House doors to two youth organizations in the late 60’s and early 70’s, one of which was The Continentals of Omega Boys and Girls Club which is still serving Vallejo youth today. Other property acquisitions included the Friendship Estates Apartments for low-moderate income families, the W.C. Dixon Administrative Offices and Training Center and other property which provided space for the teen center, additional parking, and an educational building.
Rev. John Gage, Jr. served a brief term as Pastor after the death of Rev. Morris in 1973. After the departure of Rev. Gage, the Rev. Eugene Watkins conducted services until 1975 when Rev. Dr. Caroll Broadfoot, Jr. was elected as pastor.
On April 25, 1976, under Pastor Broadfoot’s leadership, ground breaking ceremonies marked the beginning of the construction project for a new sanctuary and administrative offices. The project included the remodeling of the original church building at 1905 Florida Street into what is now known as the H. J. Morris Fellowship Hall.
Following twenty-two years of faithful service, Pastor Broadfoot retired on August 31, 1996. The Rev. Dr. Lou Johnson served as Pastor for the Interim from March 1997 to August 1997. Rev. Joseph K. Flowers was elected Senior Pastor of FMBC on August 25, 1997. Pastor Flowers followed his vision for a childcare center called, “Grandma’s Place,” which opened for business in March 2001 and remained in business until December 2003.
On March 1, 2008, the Rev. Dr. Caroll Broadfoot, Jr. returned to FMBC as Pastor for the Interim to prayerfully lead FMBC through the transitional period as FMBC searched for a new pastor. In January 2009, a Search Committee was established for the purpose of calling our next Pastor. On July 2010, Rev. Danté R. Quick was elected Senior Pastor of FMBC. During the same year Dr. Broadfoot was designated emeritus.
Today, FMBC is once again a pillar of the Vallejo community. Known for its spiritual and financial generosity, aggressive leadership and efforts to enhance the quality of life for all people, FMBC is often sighted in the local press for its innovative ministry efforts. With a focus on educating future generations, since 1948, Friendship has awarded nearly thousands of dollars in scholarships to high school and college students.
FMBC is regarded in Vallejo for its ability to reach out to the community in various ways and has established several ministries to accomplish this. Aside from financial assistance there are several ministries to assist with the needs of those in the community which include: the American Baptist Women’s Ministry, The Food Pantry Ministry, Feed The Hungry, Seniors’ Ministry, Scholarship Ministry, Health & Wellness Ministry, Music, Arts and Worship Ministry, Lions of Judah Ministry (Men’s Ministry), Daughters of Zelophehad (Women’s Ministry), Hospitality Ministry, CAYA (Come As You Are, a Young Adult Ministry), Children and Youth Ministry, Bereavement Ministry, Culinary Arts Ministry, Ushers Ministry, Single Parents Support Ministry and many more.
In an effort to serve the community, FMBC has sponsored the following community outreach programs: Annual Hallelujah Festival on October 31st which caters to over 800 men, women, and children and provides a safe alternative in the community. FMBC has also partnered with the House of Acts in Vallejo to offer workshops and worship to the clients. We organized a “God in the City Conference” in which the community enjoyed a free concert, food and fellowship. We have organized community block parties, health fairs, and partnered with Kaiser Foundation Hospital in hosting a community baby shower. Currently, FMBC is further attempting to make an impressionable mark on the community with the establishment of its new Community Development Corporation.
In the summer of 2012, following the vision of the Holy Spirit as given to Pastor Quick, FMBC began the “Nehemiah Project.” The purpose of this campaign was to renovate our sanctuary via the cash contributions of the membership. Renovations included, but are not limited to, new carpet, pulpit and choir loft reconstruction, electrical wiring, pew and pulpit furniture refurbishment, construction of an A/V booth and preparation for the handicap lift installation. The project was successfully completed in September 2012, and exceeded the initial construction goals. Following the admonition of Pastor Emeritus Broadfoot, Pastor Quick made it clear to the FMBC family that the “Nehemiah Project” was not seeking equal gifts, but equal sacrifice!
We look forward to a bright and prophetic future in ministry because…
FMBC IS THE PLACE TO BE![/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][mk_padding_divider size=”40″][/vc_column][/vc_row]